Schedule a consultation 978-989-9999


Kids are Coming Home!

Posted by Bridget Murray | May 19, 2023 | 0 Comments

For all the parents of young adults out there, remember that once your child turns 18, doctors and hospitals no longer have permission to discuss their medical issues with you.  If you have college kids coming home, military kids on leave, high school kids graduating and getting ready for the next phase of life, you should:

  1. Have them do a healthcare proxy naming someone who can make medical decisions if they are unable to;
  2. Have them execute a HIPPA release which will give the medical professionals permission to share information with family members;
  3. Possibly execute a Durable Power of Attorney, which will give permission to someone else to help with legal and financial matters if your child is away or unable to take care of things for some reason.

Sometimes these types of documents are addressed by colleges, but not consistently, so if you have kids around this summer, it is a good time to get this taken care of.  When my son was in the military, he was not asked to take care of these documents, so I think that can also depend on the branch, or perhaps where the processing is happening.  Please call if you need more information!

About the Author

Bridget Murray

Attorney at Law, Principal Attorney Murray has been practicing in the area of Estate Planning for 20 years. Prior to becoming an attorney, she wrote for The Economist in Tokyo, worked as a financial analyst for State Street Bank, and earned an MBA in International Management (Thunderbird School ...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Schedule A Consult

If you are interested in speaking with an attorney about estate planning, elder law, or probate work, please give us a call to schedule a consultation. Most initial consultations are free of charge.